Monday, April 7, 2014

Dreary weather equals recipe blog!

I've had this recipe since last week and I've been trying to make it for a few days now but we've had so many events that I haven't had the time!

Tonight I was finally able to get home from work and get this going and boy was it delicious! This recipe is called Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls. Growing up my Grandma and my mom always made regular cabbage rolls and they are so delicious. This recipe cuts down the carbs and is a new way to make an old favorite.

Day 97/365



Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of lean ground beef. (I used Venison)
  • 1 tablespoon of olive oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon of garlic, minced. (I buy the jars of pre minced garlic, so much easier)
  • 1 small cabbage
  • 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) of diced tomatoes
  • 1 can (8oz) of tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup of water
  • 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon of sea salt
Directions:

  • In a large pot or deep skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat
  • Add the ground beef/venison/turkey and onion and cook, stirring, until ground meat is no longer pink and onion is tender.
  • Add the garlic and continue cooking for one minute
  • Add the chopped cabbage, tomatoes, tomato sauce, pepper, salt & water
  • Bring to a boil
  • Cover and simmer until cabbage is tender. It took mine about 40 minutes
This recipe is SUPER easy and super delicious and it basically has half the calories of a traditional cabbage roll because you don't have all that rice. I think you could probably add some brown rice to this to make it more hearty but I prefer this version. 

Hope you have a chance to try this some time!

I'll catch up on the 365 tomorrow and update you all with our busy weekend!


xxx

Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment